Friday, October 5, 2012

Dying to be Different..




As a fashion enthusiast I try to be very objective in the way that I judge or view other people's style; however, there are some looks that I simply fail to understand.  I have always been a firm believer that just because a person doesn't dress like you doesn't mean they can't dress, or that they lack style.  Yet I look at many a person with the confused face.  I wonder about these eclectic dressers.  Are you dressed that way because this is your individual style and you own it, or are you just trying to be different?  And in essence trying to be different makes you just like the masses of other people that are trying to be different, which in turn makes you just like all the rest of these people.  It's a vicious cycle.  Does it not get tiring to walk around all the time trying to make this anti-establishment type statement?  If you are genuinely comfortable wearing a barrage of layers and patterns and colors etc. then ok I guess I can accept that.  I suppose I can just chalk that up to the overriding theme of our generation which seems to be: Do You.  I just find it hard to believe that some people are really genuinely comfortable in their pairings.  You would be hard pressed to convince me that Lady Gaga likes these costumes that she wears or that she is comfortable wearing a crystal lobster on her head.  I'm sorry but I am just not buying it.  Is she trying to make a statement to her fans that it's ok to be different, so she does that in the most exaggerated way possible?  Again, I'm lost and I am really trying to understand this whole "different" concept of style.  I'm all for self expression and individuality, by all means do you, but is this really you?

No comments:

Post a Comment